Skip to main content

Free yourself.

I've been meaning to write this post for some time now. I don't know what's on my mind, but lines of code and work are definitely part of it. I think that it scares me to know I have so many things to do every day, and that somehow, all of them get done. It's a pretty crazy thing. Today my calendar updated me and it said, 'Have Dinner', and I knew I had reached a point where every minute of my life had been scheduled. However, I am really proud of what I do. I'd like to write it all out so I never forget of all the things I actually have to do.

In fact, writing this article makes me want to do some work that I am missing. But frankly, screw it. Put work off and do whatever you want, because not sometimes, but always, you have to enjoy life.

My mind is rather confused as to how it process things. I say this very carefully, because I am unsure of what is on my mind right now. How do you put yourself together? How do you wake up and greet people every morning without thinking, what the hell am I going to do in 15 years? Who am I going to marry, where will I live, what will I do? I knew that personally, it was a concern that I did not care about, because frankly, I live my life day by day enjoying every day.

And then a friend asked me, but what is your purpose? In pure honesty I would do things like most other people, for the admiration and respect of those around me. If no one really cared about what I was doing, I am uncertain that I would do it. I love computer science, I really do. But the reason I got into it was because ever since the 7th grade where my principal walked in and took me out of class because she had a computer problem, I've wanted to help people.

Computer is the medium through which I do it, and I am proud to say that it's what makes me be so passionate about the things I do. Everybody deserves to change. Everybody deserves a second, third, and infinite number of opportunities.

Sometimes, the worries about the significance of your actions to your life can throw you off and scare you. Why am I a waitress? What's the point? But that's not the point. The point is not to see what one action or one step does to the whole of your life, but rather, to find the small steps which make you happy.

I'll give you an example, people want to be successful. People suffer through hundreds and hundreds of hours of work to graduate college to finally earn a few dollars so they can work and maintain their family, and be happy.

A: High School - Good Grades
B: College - Good Grades
C: Good Job
D: Have and maintain a family
E. Happiness.

So, let me go through A + B + C + D =? E.

Does it really? Did you in your wondering mind which walked into the path which millions do because you were one in the crowd thinking you were unique ever think for yourself? Did you in your useless calculus classes ever even think if the equation you were walking through was worth it? Who decided this path? It sure as hell wasn't you because college wasn't a choice for you, it was the only way. The other alternative was nothing, because you were nothing, nothing but a simple one in the millions who walk the same path.

Did you ever even consider your actions, and what you were doing? We're simple pawns to the game of society, white mice which run in the circle of life, never leaving their cage. You're being fed to be just another animal that runs around.

It doesn't have to be that way.

If you don't like the process, get out of it. If you are doing something you enjoy, and always seek, every minute of every day will be wonderful. Fight for your life, fight for your survival, but for sure as hell don't let others decide what your future is.

By no means am I criticizing the college process, but rather informing those who walk this path uneasy that there is an alternative.

If you are not satisfied, and not happy, and simply not ok with what you are doing, change it. There's no need for you to gruel through what your parents thought was the right choice. There's no need. Walk into this world naked, stripped of the views and thoughts of others, and you will be free.

Do as you wish, and not as others wish you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food: Volume 2

The Food Guide: Volume 2 August marked the start of my 10th year in Atlanta, Georgia. My first 3-4 years were arguably a waste in the context of visiting places (still remember being blown away when I first ventured into Decatur), but I wanted to revisit my Food Guide now that I have frequented many locations around Atlanta and found the pockets that I really love. Before I had structured the guide from cheap to expensive, but this time I will break it down by neighborhoods, since I think that better represents Atlanta. Disclaimer, I also love beer so some of these may be bias to the beer world. I explicitly won't be mentioning breweries or bars because this would just get insanely long, but hit up Hop City, and check out every brewery in town. I particularly have been loving the atmosphere at Atlanta Brewing Co. so go check them out! Updated lightly in January 2021 to add PERC Coffee, otherwise intact so forgive if anything is stale, and another update 5/10 I removed Le Fat

"I'm not the whisky you want, I'm the water you need." - Rupi Kaur

The light came through, Your peaceful smile, in truth. The surreal was still at bay But I did not know what my words would convey. I heard the silence pedal, I spent the days winning medals Hoping to protect my heart By covering it with metal. I'm trying to explain these walls, The shields and simple fears, I hope they don't reflect you away, But I do not know if you can stay. I buried myself deep within Behind this thick armor My wounds had frozen As I lay there, I burned the roses. A little heat was a sweet reminder Of my burnt past The loving pleasure and pain I ran from what would always remain. So when I glanced at you in disbelief, It was hard to mutter past my walls, But you saw past them with your own, By admitting what I had never known. The vulnerabilities we touch Let us know we are loved They acknowledge our shame And let us play our game With a silly smile, I finally got the courage I finally had the nerve, To yell past my wall

Building your passion.

This was inspired after I went to a SpokenWord event for the first time at JavaMonkey in Decatur. Loved the experience! Perhaps I was only dreaming, Only wishing that things would fall into place, That the blocks that scattered my mind would build an empire from the rubble, But deep inside, buried under this mess I knew those words that told me to stretch out, To reach out that hand and pick everything up. Piece by piece, I had to rebuild. Don't you tell me that your dreams have fallen, Don't you tell me that its been a waste, Because when you give up, that's it, That's all you've got. Sure there's a friend, a mother, and a brother, Sure there's the heart of compassion of others, But if your heart doesn't want it, Then don't expect it. I want you to take down every wall, Take down every word against you, Step on them and build a ladder, Make it to heavens, you are greatness. I believe in you, I believe in passion. Passion