Skip to main content

Lost in thought.

I wrote this while awaiting a ferry to go to my friends' wedding in Poros, Greece. It was an enlightening moment fueled with a bit of travel exhaustion -- but at this point I'm happy to say that's become the norm.

Maybe it was never about the traveling. I mean, don’t get me wrong, this is my drug of choice, but maybe the initial thought of traveling, of visiting new places and cultures, of immersing yourself into the curiosities of centuries of great and poor decisions that create what we call cities, maybe that was just a facade. I begin to realize this as I type away in some bench at a bus stop in Athens, Greece.

My flight into Athens landed at 4:00am, which was essentially the worst time one can arrive at any city, although i’ll give New York and Barcelona props on being one of the few places i’d leave the airport knowing the city was inexplicably still alive.

Anyways, back to my point: as I sit in this bench, I observe people from everywhere, some rushed and others less so, trying to make it onto an early morning boat. There’s an ironic amount of stress populating the atmosphere of tourists. It is at this moment that I realize that what I love about traveling was the amount of time I get to spend in free thought.

I notoriously work a lot, I love the feeling of achievement and the work that I do so I wouldn’t have it any other way, but there is true value in these peaceful moments of travel, particularly in between reaching a destination. It is in these moments that my mind roams free.

I begin to wonder if this nation, on the verge of collapse, will somehow rise again. My friend let me know that things were not well, that their economy was on its last breath which is devastating to hear. The homeless population, in the little that I have seen today, seems similar to that of San Francisco. I begin to wonder the devastating effects that cities have on people who fall on hard times.

In today’s society, it is a lot more difficult to go out into nature and live as a recluse. Everything is owned by someone. This is not to say people haven’t succeeded in leaving the populated world but sometimes I wonder what I would do if I became homeless and this comes to mind. I wish I could be more empathic to their struggles however. I am quick to think of malice when approached by strangers — and I imagine others are of the same mentality.

It is incredibly difficult to imagine living in a world where you are neglected by most of the people around you. Those who help often qualify it, giving you food instead of money so they could feel better about their charitable work. We’ve grown more skeptical, and less selfless. We have built cities to become individual. We are no longer a community but rather a set of individuals desperately seeking a mystical answer.


We should redesign our cities to rebuild a sense of help and community but I am now lost in thought, to be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food: Volume 2

The Food Guide: Volume 2 August marked the start of my 10th year in Atlanta, Georgia. My first 3-4 years were arguably a waste in the context of visiting places (still remember being blown away when I first ventured into Decatur), but I wanted to revisit my Food Guide now that I have frequented many locations around Atlanta and found the pockets that I really love. Before I had structured the guide from cheap to expensive, but this time I will break it down by neighborhoods, since I think that better represents Atlanta. Disclaimer, I also love beer so some of these may be bias to the beer world. I explicitly won't be mentioning breweries or bars because this would just get insanely long, but hit up Hop City, and check out every brewery in town. I particularly have been loving the atmosphere at Atlanta Brewing Co. so go check them out! Updated lightly in January 2021 to add PERC Coffee, otherwise intact so forgive if anything is stale, and another update 5/10 I removed Le Fat

"I'm not the whisky you want, I'm the water you need." - Rupi Kaur

The light came through, Your peaceful smile, in truth. The surreal was still at bay But I did not know what my words would convey. I heard the silence pedal, I spent the days winning medals Hoping to protect my heart By covering it with metal. I'm trying to explain these walls, The shields and simple fears, I hope they don't reflect you away, But I do not know if you can stay. I buried myself deep within Behind this thick armor My wounds had frozen As I lay there, I burned the roses. A little heat was a sweet reminder Of my burnt past The loving pleasure and pain I ran from what would always remain. So when I glanced at you in disbelief, It was hard to mutter past my walls, But you saw past them with your own, By admitting what I had never known. The vulnerabilities we touch Let us know we are loved They acknowledge our shame And let us play our game With a silly smile, I finally got the courage I finally had the nerve, To yell past my wall

Building your passion.

This was inspired after I went to a SpokenWord event for the first time at JavaMonkey in Decatur. Loved the experience! Perhaps I was only dreaming, Only wishing that things would fall into place, That the blocks that scattered my mind would build an empire from the rubble, But deep inside, buried under this mess I knew those words that told me to stretch out, To reach out that hand and pick everything up. Piece by piece, I had to rebuild. Don't you tell me that your dreams have fallen, Don't you tell me that its been a waste, Because when you give up, that's it, That's all you've got. Sure there's a friend, a mother, and a brother, Sure there's the heart of compassion of others, But if your heart doesn't want it, Then don't expect it. I want you to take down every wall, Take down every word against you, Step on them and build a ladder, Make it to heavens, you are greatness. I believe in you, I believe in passion. Passion