Skip to main content

Death.

Death is really a subject that I like because of its positive aspects. About 2 months ago, I encountered a news which unsettled me. Someone which I had known personally, had passed away.

This was very rough for me to hear because I had known the guy personally and it was one of the first times someone who I legitimately had met had just... died. Eventually I managed to move forward on the event, but it was really tough.

Every now and then I do think about people and why they suicide. The statistics are pretty ridiculous, it's about 1 million people a year. It really shocked me but it made me realize one thing:

Humans are extremely sensitive. We are all a filled glass not wanting to be spilled. The beauty of ourselves is that we can feel. We can understand others and that is what makes us beautiful.

However, it is that which leads to suicide as well. Some people simply believe that they will not be missed, that they will not have some grieving for them when they leave.

I don't consider myself in that ballpark however (the ballpark of thinking about suicide in terms of those around you). I was always a very independent kid, and sadly this lead to a relationship with my parents which was somewhat distant. It is both of our faults that they were always at work and that I never really tried because "I was busy". The way I think of life and death is more of in terms of being able to experience things. I tend to weigh my options in terms of what I am doing with my life. This is why I was always inclined to skydive, bungee jump, and do activities which I believe I may be less inclined to do when I have more people that need me (children). I like to seek opportunities that I may at some point in the future not have.

That stated, I do risky things now because if I die, I won't have children and a family which is left to their own resort to figure things out. I'd be devastated to do that to my future children. Further, I don't commit suicide because I know that death is coming after life. Death is an opportunity which I know I am going to have, I think it is not in my best interest to rush to that opportunity because I don't know what kind of opportunities I may be unable to do once I am dead (I really don't think past the moment of my last breathe, so I haven't really sat down to think about what I think about is going to happen after I die).

People who commit suicide are making the choice to do death, and cutting their chance to do the entirety of life first. I want to live my life until I am no longer alive, whether that means I'll die tomorrow or in 50 years I don't really care, but I'm pretty set on my mindset that I'll always choose to live, because there will always be something you can do before you die. I can assure you of that.

The hardest thing is finding that something, and understanding that no matter what you choose, it is a better choice than eliminating the chance of having a choice. Even after continuously choosing the wrong path, the ability to live is still more valuable than that of death, because the true beauty of who we are as a species lies not in the consequence of our actions, but in the fact that we can make choices that are unique to ourselves as individuals, it is the beauty of the self that keeps me alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen closely.

It's game time. The clock is ticking, and you've been sitting around hoping things would get done. Sitting around hoping and dreaming that maybe some day something would fall out of the sky and fall onto you served on a golden platter. You weren't even holding the golden platter -- you were too busy pawning it off for pennies that quickly dwindled because you didn't realize that life was about experiences, not material goods. No one was born to be successful. No one was born to win their awards and to triumph above all. Those people don't exist. Those that were born into money are unfortunate because it is often more difficult for them to realize what struggle is. You were born into those struggles and hurdles, you were born to fight every moment that was going to end your dreams before they even began. The moment you stop fighting, the moment you lose that encouragement, remember that this is all you've got. You have one life, not five. You don't get...

Humidity killed the salt shaker. A review of Rosemary Beach and 30A.

What a time to make a new post on my blog. My wife and I are expecting our first child, and we decided on one final trip to the panhandle for our baby moon (the panhandle is a nickname my wife is keen to point out is   absolutely ridiculous given the rest of Florida is not pan-shaped   — even as a Dali painting ). We have been to the panhandle a few times since we have family in Mexico Beach , and we absolutely love that area. We figured we’d treat ourselves to a fancy hotel & spa experience for the time away, and Rosemary Beach ’s The Pearl fit just the bill. On the road down here, we’ve started a tradition of stopping by White Oak Pastures for a good American grass-fed single-estate burger. Single-estate is a joking reference to the book A Bold Return to Giving a Damn , written by the owner of White Oak Pastures, Will Harris , which is, no exaggeration, how we save America. First thing — read the book, and eat some good local meat from animals that have lived a damn go...

Dazed and confused.

I kind of came to the conclusion that I needed to write this when I realized that I had gotten a little lost at work. I can go a little crazy with the number of things I try to do at any given time and well, that kind of work can easily overwhelm me. However, over the past few days I have realized and resparked my desire and love for the process. It may sound a bit abstract but its a common theme among those who find themselves fortunate enough to enjoy every minute of every day of work. You see, a lot of life is a matter of perspective. A quick glimpse into consumer behavior and the study of a capitalistic society will tell you that people are very predictable and marketable beings. A few years ago Matthew McConaughey gave a fantastic talk to the University of Houston, where he stated the following: "See, joy is always in process, under construction — it’s in the constant approach, alive and well —in the doing of what we are fashioned to do… and enjoying doing it." and ...