Skip to main content

Death.

Death is really a subject that I like because of its positive aspects. About 2 months ago, I encountered a news which unsettled me. Someone which I had known personally, had passed away.

This was very rough for me to hear because I had known the guy personally and it was one of the first times someone who I legitimately had met had just... died. Eventually I managed to move forward on the event, but it was really tough.

Every now and then I do think about people and why they suicide. The statistics are pretty ridiculous, it's about 1 million people a year. It really shocked me but it made me realize one thing:

Humans are extremely sensitive. We are all a filled glass not wanting to be spilled. The beauty of ourselves is that we can feel. We can understand others and that is what makes us beautiful.

However, it is that which leads to suicide as well. Some people simply believe that they will not be missed, that they will not have some grieving for them when they leave.

I don't consider myself in that ballpark however (the ballpark of thinking about suicide in terms of those around you). I was always a very independent kid, and sadly this lead to a relationship with my parents which was somewhat distant. It is both of our faults that they were always at work and that I never really tried because "I was busy". The way I think of life and death is more of in terms of being able to experience things. I tend to weigh my options in terms of what I am doing with my life. This is why I was always inclined to skydive, bungee jump, and do activities which I believe I may be less inclined to do when I have more people that need me (children). I like to seek opportunities that I may at some point in the future not have.

That stated, I do risky things now because if I die, I won't have children and a family which is left to their own resort to figure things out. I'd be devastated to do that to my future children. Further, I don't commit suicide because I know that death is coming after life. Death is an opportunity which I know I am going to have, I think it is not in my best interest to rush to that opportunity because I don't know what kind of opportunities I may be unable to do once I am dead (I really don't think past the moment of my last breathe, so I haven't really sat down to think about what I think about is going to happen after I die).

People who commit suicide are making the choice to do death, and cutting their chance to do the entirety of life first. I want to live my life until I am no longer alive, whether that means I'll die tomorrow or in 50 years I don't really care, but I'm pretty set on my mindset that I'll always choose to live, because there will always be something you can do before you die. I can assure you of that.

The hardest thing is finding that something, and understanding that no matter what you choose, it is a better choice than eliminating the chance of having a choice. Even after continuously choosing the wrong path, the ability to live is still more valuable than that of death, because the true beauty of who we are as a species lies not in the consequence of our actions, but in the fact that we can make choices that are unique to ourselves as individuals, it is the beauty of the self that keeps me alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food: Volume 2

The Food Guide: Volume 2 August marked the start of my 10th year in Atlanta, Georgia. My first 3-4 years were arguably a waste in the context of visiting places (still remember being blown away when I first ventured into Decatur), but I wanted to revisit my Food Guide now that I have frequented many locations around Atlanta and found the pockets that I really love. Before I had structured the guide from cheap to expensive, but this time I will break it down by neighborhoods, since I think that better represents Atlanta. Disclaimer, I also love beer so some of these may be bias to the beer world. I explicitly won't be mentioning breweries or bars because this would just get insanely long, but hit up Hop City, and check out every brewery in town. I particularly have been loving the atmosphere at Atlanta Brewing Co. so go check them out! Updated lightly in January 2021 to add PERC Coffee, otherwise intact so forgive if anything is stale, and another update 5/10 I removed Le Fat

"I'm not the whisky you want, I'm the water you need." - Rupi Kaur

The light came through, Your peaceful smile, in truth. The surreal was still at bay But I did not know what my words would convey. I heard the silence pedal, I spent the days winning medals Hoping to protect my heart By covering it with metal. I'm trying to explain these walls, The shields and simple fears, I hope they don't reflect you away, But I do not know if you can stay. I buried myself deep within Behind this thick armor My wounds had frozen As I lay there, I burned the roses. A little heat was a sweet reminder Of my burnt past The loving pleasure and pain I ran from what would always remain. So when I glanced at you in disbelief, It was hard to mutter past my walls, But you saw past them with your own, By admitting what I had never known. The vulnerabilities we touch Let us know we are loved They acknowledge our shame And let us play our game With a silly smile, I finally got the courage I finally had the nerve, To yell past my wall

Building your passion.

This was inspired after I went to a SpokenWord event for the first time at JavaMonkey in Decatur. Loved the experience! Perhaps I was only dreaming, Only wishing that things would fall into place, That the blocks that scattered my mind would build an empire from the rubble, But deep inside, buried under this mess I knew those words that told me to stretch out, To reach out that hand and pick everything up. Piece by piece, I had to rebuild. Don't you tell me that your dreams have fallen, Don't you tell me that its been a waste, Because when you give up, that's it, That's all you've got. Sure there's a friend, a mother, and a brother, Sure there's the heart of compassion of others, But if your heart doesn't want it, Then don't expect it. I want you to take down every wall, Take down every word against you, Step on them and build a ladder, Make it to heavens, you are greatness. I believe in you, I believe in passion. Passion