Skip to main content

Shawn Achor: The happy secret to better work - Inspired.

I recently watched a talk on how we view things in life, and how happiness is what inspires productivity. I have long believed it and seen it applied to different areas, particularly when I worked at Google over the summer where I saw how the environment that surrounded us that summer really inspired my work ethic. That stated, I will compile a list of 63 things I am grateful for, writing 3 things every day.

I am grateful for:

February 7, 2012
  • The love my friends and I share.
  • The dedication the College of Computing (and specifically Cedric & Jennifer) put into making me feel at home here, as it has gotten me where I am today.
  • Shawn Achor's inspiring TED talk which has lead me to do this in my life.
February 8, 2012
  • Family, for their loving support.
  • My bicycle for getting me places in Atlanta.
  • My research professor for allowing me to continue pursuing my research.
February 9, 2012
  • My roommates for their understanding of my intense work schedules.
  • My team at SCAD for their great work and dedication.
  • the work my professors put in, it's really life changing.
February 10, 2012
  • my friend Summit, for always being there to talk to.
  • the AS3NUI online community which has provided so much support and great ideas.
  • Microsoft and Primesense for developing the Kinect in such a cost effective manner.
February 11, 2012
  • My girlfriend, for understanding and supporting me through my work.
  • The dedication that everyone puts into what they love doing. It is inspiring to me to see others succeed, it is what makes me want to succeed just as much.
  • The food at Fogo De Chao, that place was amazing.
February 12, 2012
  • The miracle of medicine that have allowed my friends and family to go through rough times and come out healthy.
  • The work that Georgia Tech puts into giving me housing and food at affordable prices, it really helps out.
  • My government and their scholarship program, it has changed my life completely.
February 13, 2012
  • My mother specifically, for helping me and dealing with me and my crazy arguments :p.
  • Google, for taking me on as an intern again this summer, they have really changed my career path, they are great!
  • The dean of the College of Computing, Zvi, for his dedication to help the undergraduates and anything they need.
February 14, 2012
  • Greg for taking me to Whole Foods, that was awesome!
  • My friends, Christine, Colleen and Kiersten, who invited me over last night, sadly I couldn't make it but it was lovely of them to invite me!
  • Matthias, for helping me publish my first paper.
February 15, 2012
  • My colleague Vinay for showing me the great work he has done on the dataset I am working on. It's the closest I've gotten to the step by step process of submitting a paper, aside from the one paper I submitted with the help of another one of my colleagues.
  • Dawn, for being a great person to talk to when I can't work.
  • My colleague Morgon, who gave me sound advice on sleep and taking a break sometimes to not overwhelm myself :).

To be continued :).
Daniel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food: Volume 2

The Food Guide: Volume 2 August marked the start of my 10th year in Atlanta, Georgia. My first 3-4 years were arguably a waste in the context of visiting places (still remember being blown away when I first ventured into Decatur), but I wanted to revisit my Food Guide now that I have frequented many locations around Atlanta and found the pockets that I really love. Before I had structured the guide from cheap to expensive, but this time I will break it down by neighborhoods, since I think that better represents Atlanta. Disclaimer, I also love beer so some of these may be bias to the beer world. I explicitly won't be mentioning breweries or bars because this would just get insanely long, but hit up Hop City, and check out every brewery in town. I particularly have been loving the atmosphere at Atlanta Brewing Co. so go check them out! Updated lightly in January 2021 to add PERC Coffee, otherwise intact so forgive if anything is stale, and another update 5/10 I removed Le Fat

"I'm not the whisky you want, I'm the water you need." - Rupi Kaur

The light came through, Your peaceful smile, in truth. The surreal was still at bay But I did not know what my words would convey. I heard the silence pedal, I spent the days winning medals Hoping to protect my heart By covering it with metal. I'm trying to explain these walls, The shields and simple fears, I hope they don't reflect you away, But I do not know if you can stay. I buried myself deep within Behind this thick armor My wounds had frozen As I lay there, I burned the roses. A little heat was a sweet reminder Of my burnt past The loving pleasure and pain I ran from what would always remain. So when I glanced at you in disbelief, It was hard to mutter past my walls, But you saw past them with your own, By admitting what I had never known. The vulnerabilities we touch Let us know we are loved They acknowledge our shame And let us play our game With a silly smile, I finally got the courage I finally had the nerve, To yell past my wall

Building your passion.

This was inspired after I went to a SpokenWord event for the first time at JavaMonkey in Decatur. Loved the experience! Perhaps I was only dreaming, Only wishing that things would fall into place, That the blocks that scattered my mind would build an empire from the rubble, But deep inside, buried under this mess I knew those words that told me to stretch out, To reach out that hand and pick everything up. Piece by piece, I had to rebuild. Don't you tell me that your dreams have fallen, Don't you tell me that its been a waste, Because when you give up, that's it, That's all you've got. Sure there's a friend, a mother, and a brother, Sure there's the heart of compassion of others, But if your heart doesn't want it, Then don't expect it. I want you to take down every wall, Take down every word against you, Step on them and build a ladder, Make it to heavens, you are greatness. I believe in you, I believe in passion. Passion