Skip to main content

Invisible Children and how I feel...

I met the Invisible Children group back in 2005 when they came to my High school and promoted one of their first videos. I was sincerely touched by this group who had gone to Uganda, and encountered atrocious crimes and was trying to bring them to light. I never heard much of Invisible Children since then until two days ago, when everything went crazy. Hence, I was writing my original post out of rage more than reason, so sorry about that.

I have read the articles you have posted, and did some more research.

Upon relooking at some things, and doing some comparisons between Invisible Children, who spends ~80% of their revenue in program expenses, in comparison to Red Cross which spends about 90%, it made sense to me. Invisible Children spends about 16% in Administrative expenses, when the Red Cross stays about at 4%. This sounds shocking, but when you think about it, the Red Cross CEO gets a million dollar salary, and the Invisible Children founders get about 89,000 (both which I would argue are reasonably paid salaries for these organizations). Given how much more the Red Cross gets in donations, it makes sense that IC has to spend a lot more of their budget in adminstrative expenses.

One of the main points that is argued is that IC promotes military intervention against Kony, and that this will end horribly. I'd like to say that I wish I had a better solution. That was the only thing that stopped Hitler, and although's Kony's crimes do not scale to this magnitude, they are equally as atrocious. Peace talks have been tried with Kony in the past (source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4320858.stm) and they simply have not worked. The guy (Kony) is crazy.

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the dilemmas that have been risen for/against/about Invisible Children is that people in masses are powerful, but also incredibly stupid.

Most of the arguments focus on Invisible Children's spending, because people will be inclined to donate to their cause, thinking the money is going to help Uganda, when most likely, it will go to raising awareness about the issue instead. In this sense, I don't think IC is purposely advocating or campaigning to get more money, but rather that they are being put to fault because some people blindly throw their money into whatever is trending, but I wouldn't blame it on IC falsely advertising, but rather people as always just being stupid.

The argument then becomes, what is better, awareness, or donations to building schools, etc. I would not like to go ahead and compare these, because they have different purposes which I think do not equate (they are simply different purposes).

Overall, I have come to the conclusion that the people who have argued about Invisible Children seek to tell those who don't know the difference and just throw their money where the tide is, that they should do some research and know where their money is going. Perhaps the name charity doesn't fit IC as much as activist group, but regardless, I stand behind them because they are the best solution that has been proposed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food: Volume 2

The Food Guide: Volume 2 August marked the start of my 10th year in Atlanta, Georgia. My first 3-4 years were arguably a waste in the context of visiting places (still remember being blown away when I first ventured into Decatur), but I wanted to revisit my Food Guide now that I have frequented many locations around Atlanta and found the pockets that I really love. Before I had structured the guide from cheap to expensive, but this time I will break it down by neighborhoods, since I think that better represents Atlanta. Disclaimer, I also love beer so some of these may be bias to the beer world. I explicitly won't be mentioning breweries or bars because this would just get insanely long, but hit up Hop City, and check out every brewery in town. I particularly have been loving the atmosphere at Atlanta Brewing Co. so go check them out! Updated lightly in January 2021 to add PERC Coffee, otherwise intact so forgive if anything is stale, and another update 5/10 I removed Le Fat

"I'm not the whisky you want, I'm the water you need." - Rupi Kaur

The light came through, Your peaceful smile, in truth. The surreal was still at bay But I did not know what my words would convey. I heard the silence pedal, I spent the days winning medals Hoping to protect my heart By covering it with metal. I'm trying to explain these walls, The shields and simple fears, I hope they don't reflect you away, But I do not know if you can stay. I buried myself deep within Behind this thick armor My wounds had frozen As I lay there, I burned the roses. A little heat was a sweet reminder Of my burnt past The loving pleasure and pain I ran from what would always remain. So when I glanced at you in disbelief, It was hard to mutter past my walls, But you saw past them with your own, By admitting what I had never known. The vulnerabilities we touch Let us know we are loved They acknowledge our shame And let us play our game With a silly smile, I finally got the courage I finally had the nerve, To yell past my wall

Building your passion.

This was inspired after I went to a SpokenWord event for the first time at JavaMonkey in Decatur. Loved the experience! Perhaps I was only dreaming, Only wishing that things would fall into place, That the blocks that scattered my mind would build an empire from the rubble, But deep inside, buried under this mess I knew those words that told me to stretch out, To reach out that hand and pick everything up. Piece by piece, I had to rebuild. Don't you tell me that your dreams have fallen, Don't you tell me that its been a waste, Because when you give up, that's it, That's all you've got. Sure there's a friend, a mother, and a brother, Sure there's the heart of compassion of others, But if your heart doesn't want it, Then don't expect it. I want you to take down every wall, Take down every word against you, Step on them and build a ladder, Make it to heavens, you are greatness. I believe in you, I believe in passion. Passion