Skip to main content

Hey, you should do this.

For a very long time in my life, I had given no thought to living. I was the product of my hard-working parents, and I tried my best not to disappoint them. Once college came around, I worked hard to continue this trend, but by then, I was already successful in their eyes, I had gotten a scholarship to go to Georgia Tech and they knew once I landed my first internship with a big tech firm that I had made it. But something happened after that. I started applying the knowledge that I was so fortunate to have to how I lived my life.

I started three tasks, which everyone knows can be good for you in moderation. I started working out, eating healthily, and being more thoughtful. These are three areas which I was particularly weak in. These three areas vastly improved my quality of life. I was falling asleep immediately after going to bed which made me get some truly wonderful rest, my skin was clearing up by being more careful about what I ate and I felt like I grew as a person by starting to think more about the things I said and the things I did before I did them.

And that is when a conflict arose. I began to feel the need to tell everyone around me, hey, you should work out. Oh man, you shouldn't eat this, that's terrible for you. I kept thinking this because I felt so upset that nobody had told this to me before. It seldom worked. People are never influenced by the commands or comments of others. It is incredibly difficult to tell somebody to do something and for them to simply agree with you and go do it, especially for things like working out and eating healthy. Who was I kidding? Everyone knows that working out and eating healthily is good for you. Telling somebody this just makes them feel like you think they're an idiot. I wasn't some super-natural being with the secrets to life -- but I was conceited and it got the best of me.

The problem is spreading the word is incredibly easy, because most of us just aren't willing to actually help our peers out. Instead of telling someone they should work out, why not invite them to go to the gym to work out with you? When choosing a place to eat, why not pick healthy ones? Most menus have something that's decent and that's a start. Let your lifestyle subtly change theirs, because of the things you like to do. Don't make it about telling people what they're doing wrong because that takes them nowhere. Show them how easy it is to change certain aspects of their lifestyle, and they'll be on their way. Once you get them started, you will have opened a curiosity in them and they will be incredibly willing to learn. In retrospect, I can't believe I ever told anybody they should work out, or eat better -- my apologies. It's a terrible implementation of a good intention.

If helping people is too much for you right now, then you're better off not saying anything. Be humble about your actions and keep them to yourself. If these actions in your life are really making you grow as a person -- curious & meaningful people will notice these changes, and ask you about them. Those who do not notice are generally too focused on other aspects of their life, which is why telling them all about the things you do really does not help them -- it generally just upsets them. It may just not be the right time, so despite your urge to tell others they should do something you should either keep quiet or extend a helping hand, but don't just say what's better because that'll rarely help anybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen closely.

It's game time. The clock is ticking, and you've been sitting around hoping things would get done. Sitting around hoping and dreaming that maybe some day something would fall out of the sky and fall onto you served on a golden platter. You weren't even holding the golden platter -- you were too busy pawning it off for pennies that quickly dwindled because you didn't realize that life was about experiences, not material goods. No one was born to be successful. No one was born to win their awards and to triumph above all. Those people don't exist. Those that were born into money are unfortunate because it is often more difficult for them to realize what struggle is. You were born into those struggles and hurdles, you were born to fight every moment that was going to end your dreams before they even began. The moment you stop fighting, the moment you lose that encouragement, remember that this is all you've got. You have one life, not five. You don't get...

Humidity killed the salt shaker. A review of Rosemary Beach and 30A.

What a time to make a new post on my blog. My wife and I are expecting our first child, and we decided on one final trip to the panhandle for our baby moon (the panhandle is a nickname my wife is keen to point out is   absolutely ridiculous given the rest of Florida is not pan-shaped   — even as a Dali painting ). We have been to the panhandle a few times since we have family in Mexico Beach , and we absolutely love that area. We figured we’d treat ourselves to a fancy hotel & spa experience for the time away, and Rosemary Beach ’s The Pearl fit just the bill. On the road down here, we’ve started a tradition of stopping by White Oak Pastures for a good American grass-fed single-estate burger. Single-estate is a joking reference to the book A Bold Return to Giving a Damn , written by the owner of White Oak Pastures, Will Harris , which is, no exaggeration, how we save America. First thing — read the book, and eat some good local meat from animals that have lived a damn go...

Dazed and confused.

I kind of came to the conclusion that I needed to write this when I realized that I had gotten a little lost at work. I can go a little crazy with the number of things I try to do at any given time and well, that kind of work can easily overwhelm me. However, over the past few days I have realized and resparked my desire and love for the process. It may sound a bit abstract but its a common theme among those who find themselves fortunate enough to enjoy every minute of every day of work. You see, a lot of life is a matter of perspective. A quick glimpse into consumer behavior and the study of a capitalistic society will tell you that people are very predictable and marketable beings. A few years ago Matthew McConaughey gave a fantastic talk to the University of Houston, where he stated the following: "See, joy is always in process, under construction — it’s in the constant approach, alive and well —in the doing of what we are fashioned to do… and enjoying doing it." and ...