Skip to main content

You should never be busy and we should grab lunch.

This post was inspired from reading this article, and this article, both of which cover a lot of the points I discuss below. I'd still recommend reading both of them. In fact, if you only have time for two articles, read those. I'm writing this post to share some of my own personal strategies on the subject.

These readings went over two important points which I'd like to highlight:

  • Telling people you are busy all the time isn't necessarily a good thing. Its generally a sign of poor time management. Incredibly productive people know that performing activities that distract you from your work often help you tremendously with making progress at work.
  • I'll quote the second point since I can't really put it better than this: "some tasks tax your bandwidth even when you are not working on them — a looming deadline or a challenging decision call your mind away from whatever you're working on," while "other tasks do not tax bandwidth but refresh it. It may be time with family, watching a basketball game, time at the gym, or simply doing nothing." - Sendhil Mullainathan, Harvard Economics Professor on TIME.

I used to feel relatively bad when I would spend some time relaxing, until I was sitting at lunch with a few friends and I solved the roadblock I had hit when programming that morning -- I scrambled to scribble it down so I wouldn't forget. And then it happened again, and again, and again. I came to a very simple conclusion. Taking a break from the environment you are currently in can benefit your productivity. I love how Mullainathan phrases the idea of an activity contaminating your productivity, it can tax your bandwidth. It's not just about how long an activity takes, but also how free your mind is to perform said activity.

I also saw a case of this as I started my Ph.D, I had put together a schedule that i'll summarize below:

  • Monday: All day research.
  • Tuesday: All day research - with Linear Algebra from 12:00 - 1:30pm in between.
  • Wednesday: All day research.
  • Thursday: All day research - with Linear Algebra from 12:00 - 1:30pm in between.
  • Friday: Research in the morning, class from 12-5:00pm.

The one thing I began noticing my first few weeks working was that on Monday and Wednesday I would often get lost from my work after a few hours, and never really get back to being productive. On Tuesday and Thursdays however, I would be incredibly efficient both in the morning and the afternoon. It was no coincidence that this kept recurring. Linear Algebra was refreshing my bandwidth, whilst on Monday and Wednesday I was getting overloaded and then my productivity hit zero. 

Yes, I'm sure right now you're probably going, uhh, how is linear algebra a break? Despite the fact that I thoroughly enjoy math, I mention this to illustrate the point that refreshing your bandwidth doesn't have to be unproductive activities, they simply have to be completely different activities (of course relaxing activities that don't require a lot of thinking are also needed from time to time in order not to burn out).

I do a lot of web programming, so going from programming one website to another website often doesn't help. I run into a lot of similar problems if the problems are similar and it doesn't relax my brain but if I switch from a programming task to finding some linear transformations, my mind clears up a lot quicker.

The more experience I get in this general realm of life, the more I realize that successful people are not really good at being focused 24/7 until they solve their problems. Successful people know how to manage their time so well that they know when to refresh their bandwidth to maintain their quality of work at solving a problem. It's a skill i'll probably work on for the rest of my career, but its nice to always give this idea some thought.

I hope this made you think of how you manage your bandwidth :),
Daniel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen closely.

It's game time. The clock is ticking, and you've been sitting around hoping things would get done. Sitting around hoping and dreaming that maybe some day something would fall out of the sky and fall onto you served on a golden platter. You weren't even holding the golden platter -- you were too busy pawning it off for pennies that quickly dwindled because you didn't realize that life was about experiences, not material goods. No one was born to be successful. No one was born to win their awards and to triumph above all. Those people don't exist. Those that were born into money are unfortunate because it is often more difficult for them to realize what struggle is. You were born into those struggles and hurdles, you were born to fight every moment that was going to end your dreams before they even began. The moment you stop fighting, the moment you lose that encouragement, remember that this is all you've got. You have one life, not five. You don't get...

Humidity killed the salt shaker. A review of Rosemary Beach and 30A.

What a time to make a new post on my blog. My wife and I are expecting our first child, and we decided on one final trip to the panhandle for our baby moon (the panhandle is a nickname my wife is keen to point out is   absolutely ridiculous given the rest of Florida is not pan-shaped   — even as a Dali painting ). We have been to the panhandle a few times since we have family in Mexico Beach , and we absolutely love that area. We figured we’d treat ourselves to a fancy hotel & spa experience for the time away, and Rosemary Beach ’s The Pearl fit just the bill. On the road down here, we’ve started a tradition of stopping by White Oak Pastures for a good American grass-fed single-estate burger. Single-estate is a joking reference to the book A Bold Return to Giving a Damn , written by the owner of White Oak Pastures, Will Harris , which is, no exaggeration, how we save America. First thing — read the book, and eat some good local meat from animals that have lived a damn go...

Dazed and confused.

I kind of came to the conclusion that I needed to write this when I realized that I had gotten a little lost at work. I can go a little crazy with the number of things I try to do at any given time and well, that kind of work can easily overwhelm me. However, over the past few days I have realized and resparked my desire and love for the process. It may sound a bit abstract but its a common theme among those who find themselves fortunate enough to enjoy every minute of every day of work. You see, a lot of life is a matter of perspective. A quick glimpse into consumer behavior and the study of a capitalistic society will tell you that people are very predictable and marketable beings. A few years ago Matthew McConaughey gave a fantastic talk to the University of Houston, where he stated the following: "See, joy is always in process, under construction — it’s in the constant approach, alive and well —in the doing of what we are fashioned to do… and enjoying doing it." and ...